Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday!

Hello to all bloggers!

I'm starting this blog to document my quest of 40 days of complete fasting with a twist!
With start of Ash Wednesday today comes the start of lent and the sacrifice of something you love to do. Which in my case is EATING! I started contemplating yesterday of what to give up for lent, candy? soda? junk food? desserts? But I've done it all, so what can I can do that would be a huge sacrifice that I haven't done before? And then it hit me, what if I just drank nutrient filled juices and smoothies.

I had just finished watching the documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" (Shout out to Joe Cross) about a couple of weeks ago and it was a revelation! Joe Cross juiced his foods for 60 days which he would only buy vegetables and fruits and put them into a juicer machine and create nutrient filled drinks. This overall is very beneficial to your body since you are supplying what the body wants instead of what it craves.

After a couple minutes of contemplating I was sold to my own idea, only drink juices that I make from a juicer and smoothies. I quickly called the parents and told them about my quest and it wasn't long before they decided to join the party! The whole family is now for 40 days not eating any food but will drink man made juices and smoothies!

Why you ask? Why take away the one thing (besides water) we need to survive?
My answer to you is, why not? Jesus fasted for 40 days and nights without any food or water. So why couldn't I do the same. Of course it is not to the degree of what he endured but it is still something worth sacrificing.

Do we not strive to be like Him everyday? Being more compassionate, forgiving, and accepting towards others? So why not try to do what He did for us. I feel with this lenten season I will be drawn closer to him with this temporary sacrifice and will find the need and want to turn to Him for strength when I am faced with temptations everyday. Being in college and on a college campus throughout the day will be the ultimate temptation, especially when Starbucks, Chick-fi-la, Panda Express, and Pizza Hut are right on campus carrying the aromas of delicious fast food. I will need to find the strength and my victory in Him with reading the Bible daily and finding scriptures that show me how he sacrificed for me. How could I not find strength and courage knowing that He sacrificed His own life so that I could have life. And how He went through excruciating pain all so that I could have a chance. Knowing this, my little 40 days of fasting with a twist seems like a little ant compared to the entire universe!

So this lenten season I will be blogging everyday about the temptations I face (and my parents) along with little "God winks"(phrase used by my fabulous roommate!) that come across through the day, and how I am made stronger through Him. I will be supplying my body not with what it wants but what my heart needs, Jesus.

"I wait quietly before God, for my victory comes from him."-Psalms 39:7 This is verse is my motto for this 40 day fasting with a twist. My VICTORY will come from Him this lenten season!




"For my victory comes from Him"
                -Audrey

1 comment:

  1. Audrey-

    I don't even know where to begin!!! Your blog is just BEAUTIFUL, fabuYOlous, inspiring, motivating, encoraging, and I literally could go on and on about it...

    I am so excited and anxious to see how these next 40 days will play out for you and your family, and I will be cheering you guys on the entire lenten season! I really think I might be one of your biggest fans!!!!

    I truly am so proud of you and know that you, along with your faith, are strong enough to fight the temptations that will exist. And I have no doubt that your VICTORY will come from him because "you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you."- Phillipians 4:13 And it is very apparent that you have the best and greatest God on your side. You can do it girl!!

    Love you!
    -J

    ReplyDelete